Monday, January 25, 2010

Time to Get Real

Now that I have a working reconstruction pipeline it is time to run on real SDSS data. I am going to re-run on the data set I have (from CAS database), but I don't believe that the photo-z's are accurate enough to use as the redshifts. To simply use all the spectroscopic data from Sloan isn't going to work because the mask is going to be horribly complicated and I really just want something simple like Stripe 82.

Eyal Kazin has a large catalog of Luminous Red Galaxies that he used to compute the BAO signal. He also has randoms (presumably using a mask) that I could use for calculating the correlation functions. I downloaded this catalog and it only has 105,831 objects in it (3190 in Stripe 82), however the redshift distribution is pretty distinct:


I might be worth trying to reconstruction using his randoms to see what I get. It is probably only 1/2 a day's work to re-write the correlation function to use his randoms instead of generating my own. His random catalog has 15X as many points and has the same redshift distribution (above) and ra, and dec distribution as the data:

The data (blue) falls right on top of the randoms (red)

I have also contacted Eric and Demitri as they have both mentioned having catalog/databases that I might be able to use. I should also contact Antonio.

Python Tip of the Day: I sometimes find that I lose my plotting window. You can close it in the python terminal by the following command: close() and then re-plot to find it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment