Thursday, February 11, 2010

Reconstruction Binning

As I discussed in a previous post, the number of bins I use in the reconstruction seems to have a large effect on the shape of the reconstruction. I want to get to the bottom of this. Here are reconstructions of a small run with several different values of npbins. Alexia, I'd be very interested if you have a similar issue when you did the reconstruction:

5 Reconstruction Bins


10 Reconstruction Bins


15 Reconstruction Bins


20 Reconstruction Bins (best fit)


25 Reconstruction Bins


30 Reconstruction Bins

The above run had 10 redshift bins in the spectroscopic data, so I am puzzled by the fact that the best fit is 20 bins because you would think you wouldn't be able to reconstruct as well with finer binning than we have redshift bins. It is also puzzling that the reconstruction gets worse with smaller bins, because you would think that the less binning the better the reconstruction would work.

To see how this binning effect changes with the number of spectroscopic redshift bins, I am running the reconstruction with more (20) redshift bins. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment